|Lydia Baptist Church||
Newry Baptist Church was organized in 1893 as a union church. We worshiped alternately with the Methodist Church in the old church building which stands in the heart of Newry.
In 1951, after prayer and being led by the Holy Spirit, our church voted to build a sanctuary so that we could become a full-time church with a full-time pastor. The present main building was built at a cost of $45,000 and was completely paid for in 5 years. The name was changed to Lydia Baptist Church and it is a constant reminder of what God can do if we only obey.
In 1963, our church voted to build a pastorium for our first full-time pastor, Rev. Ralph Sassard. This was done at a cost of $13, 000.
In 1974, our church called Rev. Johnny Slocum as its second full-time pastor. The church built an addition to its facilities in 1977. This included a fellowship hall and additional classrooms. The cost was $65, 000.
Our church called Rev. Kenneth Hood in 1984; Rev. Carl Pointer in 1990; Rev. Olin Baxter in 1993; Rev. Carl Pointer again in 1995; Rev. Derrel Robinson in 1997; Rev. Glenn Kelly in 2003; and Rev. Brian Goss in 2009.
Some of the men who have served as pastor were: Rev. Abbott, Rev. D.C. Williams, Rev. W.A. Tinsley, Rev. Warren Harbin, Rev. Jim Tannery, Rev. T.Q. Whitmaire, Rev. P.F. Campbell, Rev. Francis Whitmire, Rev. Tommy Dyar,Rev. Clyde Crenshaw, Rev. Hugh McAlister, Rev. Ralph Sassard, Rev. Johnny Slocum, Rev. Kenneth Hood, Rev. Olin Baxter, Rev. Carl Pointer, Rev. Derrel Robinson, Rev. Glenn Kelly, and Rev. Brian Goss
The final chapter has yet to be written as to what God can and will do if His people will just obey.